Export plant material

You must apply for a

 before exporting any plant, seed, fruit or plant product (including wood) overseas.  The country into which you are taking (sending) the plant material will determine the entry requirements.   The receiving country may require a Phytosanitary Certificate from the exporting country (Bermuda) or they may issue an import permit to the local exporter, verifying clearance of the shipment to be imported into their jurisdiction.

Prior to applying for a plant export permit (Phytosanitary Certificate) from the DENR, you are advised to contact the Department of Agriculture or analogous body in the country of import (by phone or email) to determine the documentation required for you to export plant material from Bermuda.

Useful contacts:

USDA –APHIS: 1 (441) 293-0353

DEFRA: +44 20 7238 6951 or defra.helpline@defra.gsi.gov.uk

Caribbean: Contact the Department of Agriculture in the country you are traveling to as different countries within the Caribbean have different importation requirements.

What information do I need to obtain a Phytosanitary Certificate?

You will need the following:

  • An application form
  • Your travel information (flight details, date of travel (if you are carrying the item with you)
  • Address of final destination of the plant item(s)
  • Address of the origin of the plant item(s)
  • Clean, pest and disease-free plant items (we advise that you wash your plant(s) free of pests
  • Container (box/bag) for the material to be stored after inspection. Once inspected the item will be sealed inside the container with inspection tape.  Neither the container nor the tape should be tampered with once sealed.  Ensure the container is sturdy enough for transport to ensure the safety of your item(s).
  • Import permits from the destination country for items which are of a quarantine risk.  Items that are typically exported include, but are not limited to; soil for testing, ornamental wood pieces, plants, plant parts, agricultural items (including animal products such as honey), etc.
  • Certificates of treatment (fumigation or heat treatment) by an independent lab or business recognized by this department for the above items.
  • CITES documentation -  If your item is covered under CITES (Convention for the International Trade in Endangered Species) you must provide a copy or the original CITES documentation to prove that the items were collected, sold and traded legally. This department will provide re-export CITES documents for transport of your plants to the new location.


  • Certificate to Export plant material - $40
  • Certificate to Export plant material (same day service)- $50
  • CITES documentation - $35

The plant items and the container in which the plants will be shipped should be delivered to the Plant Protection Laboratory for inspection, along with your application, in the morning.  Processing and inspection of the items can take approximately two to three (2-3) days to complete.